Two trans women attacked at train station as bystanders cheered

This blog is originally appeared at LGBTQ Nation

“No one stepped in to help,” one witness said, describing how people cheered as the women were assaulted.

LGBTQ+ advocates say bystanders cheered as two transgender women were brutally attacked in Minneapolis earlier this month.

According to a statement from Minneapolis Police to The Independent, the two women were confronted by a group making derogatory comments at a downtown light rail station on November 10, which escalated into a “physical altercation.”

Amber Muhm, one of the organizers of a rally supporting the victims of the attack at the station, spoke with The Independent about the incident. She identified the two women only as Dahlia and Jess. They told her that as they were leaving the station, a man yelled anti-trans slurs at them. When Jess asked him to stop, he “sucker punched” her. In response, Dahlia struck the man with her cane, which prompted four or five other men to join in and violently assault the pair.

Both women were knocked unconscious, with Dahlia suffering a broken nose and Jess left with multiple rib contusions.

“No one came to help them,” Muhm told CBS News, recounting that bystanders cheered on the attackers while the women were being beaten. “It was a traumatic event, and they’re still dealing with the physical consequences, but the community is what’s keeping them grounded right now,” Muhm added.

Minneapolis police confirmed to CBS News that they were investigating the incident, but no arrests had been made as of Sunday night. Muhm called for more urgent action from the police. “They need to step up because this keeps happening, and it’s ridiculous and unacceptable at this point,” she said.

Dahlia and Jess had moved to Minnesota from Iowa specifically because of the state’s Trans Refuge law, which was introduced by state Rep. Leigh Finke (D), Minnesota’s first openly trans legislator. The law, passed in March 2023, protects access to gender-affirming care in the state, regardless of laws in other states.

At the rally, Rep. Finke predicted that more trans people would likely relocate to Minnesota following the re-election campaign of former President Donald Trump, whose political ads during the 2024 election cycle fueled anti-trans rhetoric. “People are so emboldened now. There’s so much false data, so many false narratives about trans people,” Muhm said, referencing claims made by rally bystanders that gender-affirming surgeries were being performed “on 10-year-olds.”

One speaker at the rally told CBS News that Trump’s re-election is instilling fear in the trans community. “People are talking to me about erasing their social media presence, going back in the closet,” they said.

Despite the mounting fear, Muhm encouraged the community to remain strong. “The community here is beautiful. We’re building a movement, we’re going to get through this, and we’re going to be stronger for it. Minneapolis is going to be such a beautiful place for trans people to live,” she said.

However, with rising concerns about anti-trans violence, Muhm acknowledged that many trans people in the city are preparing for a possible surge in hostility. “People are about to get a lot more hostile and emboldened in their transphobia,” she said. “So, what do we do to protect ourselves when we’re out?” Many in the community are enrolling in self-defense classes and looking into acquiring handgun permits to safeguard themselves.

Elon Musk’s Trans Daughter, Vivian Jenna Wilson, Calls Him a “Grubby Control Freak”

This blog is originally appeared at Them

Musk, who is said to have spent over $130 million supporting Trump’s election campaign, misgendered his daughter on X and attributed her transition to the “woke mind virus.”

Vivian Jenna Wilson, the estranged trans daughter of billionaire Elon Musk, has opened up about her consideration of leaving the U.S. following Donald Trump’s election victory. She also set the record straight once more after Musk falsely claimed she had been “killed by the woke mind virus” due to her transition.

On November 6, the day after the U.S. presidential election, Wilson took to the Meta-owned platform Threads, writing, “I’ve thought this for a while, but yesterday confirmed it for me. I don’t see my future being in the United States.”

She continued, “Even if [Trump] is only in office for 4 years, even if the anti-trans regulations magically don’t happen, the people who willingly voted for this are not going anywhere anytime soon.”

A second Trump presidency could have a devastating impact on LGBTQ+ Americans. On his 2024 campaign website, Trump pledged to enact a federal ban on gender-affirming care for minors and to redefine gender at the federal level, recognizing only male and female as assigned at birth. These promises come amid the Republican party’s ongoing use of anti-trans rhetoric. According to data from Ad Impact, cited by Washington Post reporter Casey Parks on November 5, Republicans spent nearly $215 million on anti-trans TV ads during the 2024 election cycle.

Meanwhile, Musk’s post-election comments included a response to a New York Post tweet about Wilson’s desire to leave the U.S., where he misgendered her and wrote, “The woke mind virus killed my son.”

The billionaire has spent much of this year aligning himself with Trump. According to CNBC, Musk has invested at least $130 million in pro-Trump campaign efforts, in addition to his frequent endorsements of the convicted felon on X. In his personal time, Musk has become notorious for lashing out against the existence of trans people, often dragging his daughter, Wilson, into his recent anti-trans rants.

Musk previously revived the claim that Wilson was “killed by the woke mind virus” during a July 22 appearance on Jordan B. Peterson’s podcast (and in subsequent X posts), attributing her transition to the so-called virus.

Wilson responded to Musk’s latest claim on November 8 via Threads, writing, “So you’re still going with the sob-story about how ‘woe is me, my child was infected by something-or-other and that’s totally the only reason why they hate me. Just don’t… please don’t look into it, god forbid I’m anything but the victim in every scenario imaginable 😥.”

She continued, “Did anyone actually believe this? It’s just tired, it’s overdone, it’s cliché. I’m just bored, honestly, like is this really the best you could come up with?”

Wilson went on to theorize that the reason Musk’s post struck a nerve was that “you’re mad that you finally don’t have power over someone.”

“You’re just upset because at the end of the day everyone around you knows you as a delusional and grubby little control freak who hasn’t matured as a person for 38 years,” she added. “However, last time I checked that’s not my fucking problem.”

Wilson previously filed a name and gender change petition in 2022, citing both her gender identity and the fact that she “no longer live[d] or wish[ed] to be related to [her] biological father in any way, shape, or form.” In a July interview with NBC News, she described Musk as an absent father who harassed her as a child for being feminine.

Transgender prisoners in Idaho regain access to hormone therapy following a significant victory in federal court

This blog originally appeared at LGBTQ NATION.

A judge has overturned a state law that prohibited gender-affirming care in prisons and other settings.

On Tuesday, a federal judge issued a preliminary injunction halting an Idaho bill that banned gender-affirming care in state prisons. This decision allows incarcerated transgender individuals in Idaho to access hormone therapy once again.

In the ruling for Robinson v. Labrador, Judge David Nye of the U.S. District Court for the District of Idaho wrote, “Plaintiffs’ Motion for Temporary Restraining Order, Provisional Class Certification, and Preliminary Injunction is hereby GRANTED. The court certifies the protected class of all incarcerated persons in custody of the [Idaho Department of Corrections] who are, or will be diagnosed with Gender Dysphoria, and are receiving, or would receive hormone therapy. The Court enjoins enforcement of [H.B. 668]’s prohibition on the use of state funds for purposes of providing hormone therapy as against the class while this lawsuit is pending.”

H.B. 668, the bill in question, prohibited the use of public funds for any gender-affirming procedures, including hormone therapy and surgeries. Sponsored by Republican lawmakers in the House State Affairs Committee, the bill was signed into law in March of this year by Governor Brad Little (R).

The injunction applies only to the use of public funds for gender-affirming care in prisons and does not extend to non-incarcerated transgender individuals or gender-affirming surgeries.

In his ruling, Judge Nye supported the injunction by highlighting the plaintiffs’ strong arguments regarding the importance of gender-affirming care, the societal impact of such restrictions, and the consequences for transgender people across the state. Although he acknowledged areas where the plaintiffs’ case was lacking, he ultimately determined that the evidence justified the injunction.

Initially, Nye had denied the request to make the lawsuit a class action. However, after receiving data showing that 54 incarcerated individuals were receiving gender-affirming care and 70 had been diagnosed with gender dysphoria, he changed his stance.

The lawsuit involves two transgender women in prison, Katie Heredia and Rose Mills, both diagnosed with gender dysphoria and undergoing hormone replacement therapy. Their care was put at risk due to H.B. 668. The case was expanded into a class action lawsuit representing all known transgender prisoners in Idaho, with the ACLU of Idaho arguing that the ban constituted an Eighth Amendment violation.

The defendants in the case include Attorney General Raul Labrador, Governor Brad Little, Idaho Department of Corrections (IDOC) director Josh Tewalt, IDOC Chief of Staff Bree Derrick, and Centurion Health of Idaho.

Paul Carlos Southwick, legal director for the ACLU of Idaho, stated, “We are grateful that this class action lawsuit will protect the rights of both our plaintiffs and all incarcerated people diagnosed with gender dysphoria. People who are serving time have a right to access health care, adequate food, and housing conditions while in the state’s care, and we are grateful those rights were upheld today.”

LGBTQ Nation reached out to both the ACLU of Idaho and the Attorney General’s office for comment but had not received a response by the time of publication. This article will be updated as necessary.

Texas eliminates the option for transgender individuals to update the gender marker on their IDs

This blog originally appeared at LGBTQ NATION.

Individuals attempting to change their gender will be entered into a database accessible by state Republicans.

According to KUT, transgender Texans can no longer update the gender marker on their state IDs, even if they have a court order or an amended birth certificate. The only exception is if the change is proven to be a clerical error. However, the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) stated that this rule is no longer in effect, and the relevant information was quietly removed from their website yesterday. A DPS spokesperson attributed the change to Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (R).

“The Office of the Attorney General (OAG) has recently expressed concerns about the validity of court orders directing state agencies, including the DPS, to change the sex of individuals in government records like driver licenses and birth certificates,” the agency informed KUT.

“Neither DPS nor other government agencies are involved in the legal proceedings that result in these court orders, and the absence of legislative authority and evidentiary standards for courts to issue such orders has necessitated a thorough legal review by DPS and the OAG. Therefore, as of Aug. 20, 2024, DPS has stopped accepting these court orders as valid for changing sex identification in department records, including driver licenses,” the agency stated.

Ian Pittman, an attorney assisting trans Texans, told The Texas Tribune that this policy shift raises significant privacy concerns for transgender individuals, as they will now be forced to carry IDs that don’t reflect their gender. This mismatch can result in discrimination, harassment, violence, and barriers to accessing services that require identification.

The DPS now officially documents and scans any birth certificate changes or court orders related to gender markers but does not use them to process updates. “This policy effectively puts people on a list that could interfere with their health care,” Pittman said, urging trans Texans not to submit court orders to the DPS.

The change comes amid broader efforts in states like Florida and Kansas to block transgender individuals from altering ID markers, alongside numerous anti-LGBTQ actions by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton and Governor Greg Abbott (R). Two years ago, Paxton directed DPS employees to create a list of individuals who had requested gender marker changes.

“Texans will now be subject to involuntary surveillance simply for trying to update a government document,” said Brad Pritchett, interim CEO of Equality Texas. “There is no clear rationale for why DPS would need this information, nor a valid reason to deny gender marker updates on driver’s licenses.”

Transgender teens file lawsuit against New Hampshire to challenge sports ban

New Hampshire recently passed a series of anti-trans laws, and now the community is pushing back.

Last Friday, two New Hampshire teenagers, both soccer players who have identified as girls since childhood, filed a lawsuit against the state challenging its transgender sports ban. With support from the ACLU, the lawsuit argues that the ban violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment and Title IX, a 1972 amendment ensuring equal opportunities in education based on sex.

The lawsuit further states that the plaintiffs are seeking a restraining order against the defendants, along with a request for a temporary injunction on the bill, to allow the girls to return to playing sports while the case is being decided.

Chris Erchull, senior staff attorney with GLBTQ Legal Advocates & Defenders (GLAD), emphasized in a statement, “Sports are a crucial part of education in New Hampshire public schools, offering numerous benefits such as physical and mental health, leadership development, and social growth. The state cannot justify excluding transgender girls and denying them these important educational opportunities available to other students.”

H.B. 1205, signed into law last month by Gov. Chris Sununu (R), prohibits transgender girls from participating on girls’ sports teams throughout high school. The bill was enacted alongside two other anti-trans laws, while a fourth bill aimed at overturning the state’s anti-discrimination protections for trans individuals was vetoed by the governor.

The lawsuit names the Commissioner of the New Hampshire Department of Education, members of the New Hampshire Board of Education, and the girls’ high school school board as defendants. The plaintiffs are represented by Chris Erchull and Ben Klein from GLAD, Henry Klementowicz and Gilles Bissonnette from the ACLU of New Hampshire, and Louis Lobel, Kevin DeJong, and Elaine Blais from Goodwin.

Henry Klementowicz, Deputy Legal Director of the ACLU of New Hampshire, stated, “H.B. 1205 discriminates against and stigmatizes transgender girls, sending the message that they are unworthy of the same educational opportunities as other girls. All students thrive when they have access to resources that support their mental, emotional, and physical well-being, and transgender girls deserve the same access.”

Kim Coco Iwamoto will make history as Hawaii’s first transgender lawmaker after defeating the House Speaker

Despite being the most powerful Democrat in the state, he was defeated by her.

In Hawaii, transgender woman Kim Coco Iwamoto (D), a former member of both the Hawai’i Civil Rights Commission and the Hawai’i Board of Education, has just made history. She defeated the incumbent in her district’s Democratic primary, becoming the first transgender person elected to the legislature. Iwamoto unseated state House Speaker Scott Saiki, who had held the position for three decades, winning by a margin of about 5%. Iwamoto received 49.3% of the votes, while Saiki garnered 44.6%.

“It feels incredible, especially knowing that so many powerful figures endorsed him,” said Iwamoto. “I wasn’t just running against him; I was up against the entire Democratic establishment.”

Kim Coco Iwamoto has a distinguished career as an attorney and has been elected twice to the Hawai’i Board of Education. In the mid-2010s, she was appointed as a commissioner to the Hawaii Civil Rights Commission. Despite previous unsuccessful runs for office, including a bid for lieutenant governor in 2018 and two challenges for Saiki’s seat, Iwamoto has remained a prominent figure in progressive politics.

Recognized by former President Barack Obama for her work, Iwamoto is a strong advocate for progressive causes. She aligns with groups that share the politics of U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), supporting initiatives like the Green New Deal, increasing funding for public education, mass reform of the criminal justice system, and investment in affordable housing.

Iwamoto is also a staunch supporter of LGBTQ+ rights. Her campaign website outlines her commitment to prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender expression, and identity. She advocates for fully funding enforcement divisions at state agencies to ensure compliance with non-discrimination laws. Additionally, she believes that every unaccompanied minor deserves a safe home, including LGBTIQ+ minors in foster and group homes.

In contrast, Saiki has let his long record of public service define his policy stance. His contributions include helping to pass a ban on conversion therapy, supporting Title IX protections in the state, fighting financial inequality between men and women, and allocating millions to combat homelessness. Saiki has served as the speaker of the House since 2017.

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑